How do crystals work?
Crystals have a long tradition of being used for healing. Each variety of crystal has a unique internal structure, which causes it to resonate at a certain frequency. It is this resonance that is said to give crystals their healing abilities. Applying this resonance in a coherent way can help to restore stability and balance to the bodies energy systems, stimulating the body's natural healing mechanisms.
Gemstone essences are used by practitioners to work on the higher emotional levels not unlike flower essences. I often incorporate crystals into my other approaches, particularly with bioresonance and homeopathy where the resonance of their frequencies can be utilized.
Crystals can be made into essences for administration as drops or pills under the tongue.
Using Crystals for Crystal Healing
They can also be placed on specific points of the body and are said to bring relief or can be swept over the body using, for example, a crystal pendulum which is said to interact with the subtle radiation field of the body. Carrying or wearing appropriate crystals is also aid to be helpful.
Below are the traditional metaphysical healing properties attributed to individual gemstones.
12 Gemstone Bottle kit available on this site (see 'Gemstone Products' page):
- Periodot is associated with the heart chakra, and can be used to balance and stimulate that chakra. It is a stone of compassion. It has a friendly energy and is excellent for healing. It assists in rebirth and renewal of all kinds. Peridot also bring abundance and prosperity. It enhances the healing and harmony of relationships of all kinds, but particularly marriage. Peridot can lessen stress in relationships, anger and jealousy, slow aging, and heal ulcers and digestive problems. It also assists in finding what is lost, and strengthens ESP abilities. It has been said to make a shield of protection around the body of any wearer of peridot.
- Carnelian is an agate class of chalcedony that is a stone of creativity, individuality and courage. Like all agates, it has protection energies. It can aid memory, including recall of past lives. It can assist one in finding the right mate. It is also a stone of protection in general and from anger, jealousy and fear. In addition it can help with manifestation of one's desires, and brings good luck. Carnelian can help ease or remove sorrows. It also helps stabilize energies in the home. It is sometimes called the "actor's stone". Carnelian is associated with the root and sacral chakras. Physically, carnelian has been used to heal open sores, rejuvenate tissues and cells, rheumatism, kidney stones and other kidney problems, gall stones, colds, pollen allergies, and neuralgia.
- Tiger's Eye (Tiger Eye) is a stone of protection that is also very grounding. It enhances integrity, willpower, practicality and correct use of power. It is a stone that enhances good luck, and brings prosperity, often in the form of money. Tiger's eye is also a very protective stone which is especially protective during travel. It can also help one see clearly without illusion. Tiger's eye brings a special boost to the solar plexus chakra and to one's personal power.
- Citrine is known as a "success" stone because it is said in folklore to promote success and abundance, especially in business and commerce. Its lore also says that it enhances mental clarity, confidence, happiness and will power. It is said to increase and magnify personal energy and power. Citrine is purported to bring good fortune, sometimes in very unexpected ways. Citrine is also a good general protection stone and clears negative energies from the aura according to crystal healing lore. It is said to alleviate depression and self-doubt, and diminish irrational mood swings due to the effect of mental clarity it has. In traditional folklore and crystal healing lore it is said to aid digestion and diabetes, and eliminate nightmares that disturb one's sleep. It is associated with the solar plexus chakra.
- Quartz is a power stone that harmonizes and balances. It is said to enhance energy and thoughts, and purify the spiritual, mental, and physical. It is also said to be a powerfully protective stone, bringing the purified energy in. Historically this crystal has been used to counter black magic, to perform diagnostic healing, and to communicate with spirits and other worlds. Clear quartz, as opposed to colored quartz, is associated with the crown chakra, but also works well on all chakras.
- Turquoise is sacred to both Native American and oriental traditions. It is associated with the sky, and bringing sky energy to earth. It can help promote honest and clear communication from the heart. It is also said to protect against pollution in the environment, and to bring abundance. Turquoise can also help speed the healing process, and is known as a master healer stone. It is very powerful for grounding and protection also. Turquoise is associated with the throat chakra primarily.
- Garnet is a stone of regeneration and stability. It is said to bring positive thoughts and be excellent for manifestation and bringing abundance. Garnet can boost the entire system's energy and remove negative energy from the chakras. It is said to be stabilizing in that it can bring order to chaos whether internal or external. It discourages disorganized growth, and brings inner strength. It is said also assist mystically with success in one's career and building one's self-confidence and creativity. It is also a protective energy stone which is especially effective for protection from evil, during travel, and from wounds. Garnet has been used to release bad karma, and to encourage movement of the kundalini is an orderly manner. It has also been used to assist in diminishing or eliminating abandonment issues. Garnet is a stone of romantic love and passion which is used in metaphysics to enhance sensuality, sexuality, and intimacy in a balanced way. It is also considered a stone of increasing truth, commitment, and faith. It is said to enhance emotions in a positive way, and also be quite calming. Garnets are used to reduce and eliminate self-sabotage whether conscious or unconscious. Garnet has been used a great deal for gentle spiritual healing, and is used to enhance intuition. Garnet is sometimes called a "stone of health" and lore says that garnet can heal the blood, heart, lungs, spine, bone, cell structure, adrenal glands, acid reflux (GERD), hemhorrage, DNA/RNA, allergies, anemia, skin, reproductive system, physical strength, help assimilate vitamins and minerals, as well as more rapid general healing particularly in areas where regeneration is needed. Garnet is associated primarily with the root chakra, but also with the heart chakra. It is used to remove negative energy from all the chakras. Various types of garnets have their own properties in addition to those of garnet in general and may be related other chakras as well.
- Rose quartz is a stone of unconditional love. It opens the heart chakra to all forms of love: self-love, family love, platonic love, and romantic love. Rose quartz has excellent protection energies during pregnancy and childbirth. The elevated energy of quartz gives rose quartz a property of enhancing love in virtually any situation. It also brings gentleness, forgiveness, and tolerance. Rose quartz is also said to be helpful with weight loss. Rose quartz is associated with the heart chakra.
- Moonstone is said in crystal healing to help calm responses and avoid overreaction; enhances feminine energies, sensitivity, intuition, and psychic abilities. It is also said to bring strong energies of abundance to one's life. Moonstone is a stone of protection, especially during childbirth, pregnancy, and travel at sea. It is a stone of calm and relief from emotional stress. It is also associated with love of all kinds. Physically it aids the pituitary gland and digestive system, obesity, water retention, hormonal problems, menstrual problems. Moonstone is also used as a stand in for pearl, when pearl is not available. Moonstone is associated with the crown and third eye chakras, and sometimes with the heart
- Aventurine is said to benefit one in all areas of creativity, and imagination, as well as intellect and mental clarity. Lore says that it enhances prosperity and brings career success. It is a gentle stone energetically that gives a sense of calm and balance and enhances happiness. It also helps one to see alternatives and potentials in all situations, giving a positive outlook, courage and inner strength. It is also said to bring luck, especially in games of chance. Green aventurine is also a mystical stone of prosperity. Aventurine bring friendship to one's life. It is also a stone of protection energies. Folklore and metaphysical lore say that physically it is beneficial for blood, circulatory system, balancing blood pressure, sinus problems, nausea, headaches, general health, allergies, eczema, fever, and sleep disorders. Aventurine is associated with the heart chakra.
- Amethyst has long been called the "sobriety stone." In ancient Rome, crushed amethyst was added to wine cups to prevent drunkenness. It is said to assist with healing alcoholism, compulsive behaviors, and addictions of all kinds. Amethyst brings energies in mystical realms of stability, peace, calm, balance, courage and inner strength. It is often used in metaphysics and crystal healing to protect against psychic attacks. On the spiritual level, amethyst is said to help open to communication with angels, telepathy and other psychic abilities. It is thus an excellent stone for meditation or dream work, past life work, and to help you see your path. It has also been used to help ease the pain of grief, and promote happiness. Amethyst is reputed to be beneficial when dealing with legal problems, and money issues, which can lead to prosperity and abundance. Amethyst is also used as protection for travelers. Physically amethyst is said by spiritual healers and mystical lore to heal the withdrawal symptoms of any sort of addiction, help with headaches, insomnia, arthritis, pain relief, circulatory system issues, endocrine system problems, diabetes, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, immune system deficiencies, asthma, phobias, pregnancy and preventing miscarriage, menopause, PMS, and general healing. Amethyst is associated with the brow and the crown chakras.
- Mixed Bottle
The crystal is chosen depending on the cause of the sleeplessness. You may need to experiment as a stone that works well for one person may not work for someone else: let instinct guide you. If you believe tension and worry are stopping you from sleeping use a crystal such a chrysoprase, rose quartz, citrine or amethyst placed by the bed or under the pillow to calm and sooth. If you believe your restlessness is a result of overeating, iron pyrite or moonstone can be used to calm the stomach. If nightmares are causing you problems, protective stones such as tourmaline or smoky quartz can promote peaceful sleep and should be placed at the foot of the bed. Labradorite may also help, as it is thought to chase away any unwelcome feelings and thoughts.
Lack of energy
Red, orange and yellow crystals have been used to promote an increase in energy. The most stimulating and dynamic crystals are those with bright strong colours such as such as deep red garnet, golden amber or golden-yellow topaz. For an increase in practical motivation use deeper tones like tiger's eye, dark citrine and jasper. Holding a clear quartz crystal, point upwards, in each hand and placing a citrine on the solar plexus can achieve a quick boost of energy to the whole system.
Difficulty with study and concentration
Concentration can be aided by quartz, which is believed to give mental clarity, and carnelian, which clears extraneous thought. Citrine and amber are thought to stimulate memory and lapis lazuli is a powerful amplifier of thoughts. Amethyst can promote mental clarity, helping to you focus on realistic goals and to visualise clearly. It is also believed to sooth the nervous system and to aid neural transmission. Fluorite is an excellent aid to study, as it is believed to balance the functioning of the brain hemispheres while deep blue stones such as sodalite can aid communication and give a better understanding of concepts and ideas.
Healing the mind
Crystals are believed to promote peace and tranquillity by dissolving blockages to emotional expression. The stones should be worn or kept about your person. They can also be placed in a healing layout. Green is a healing colour and many green crystals can be used to help reduce mental and nervous stress. In the East, green jade is prized for its ability to calm the nervous system and to focus the mind. Rose quartz and blue lace agate can both be used for cleansing and detoxifying the emotions. Opal promotes emotional balance and stability and amethyst works on hormone production, balancing emotional highs and lows and helping you to feel less 'scattered' and more in control. Amethyst can also relieve stress by reducing mental burdens and helping you to focus on realistic goals and amber can be used to neutralize a negative state of mind and to balance any underlying emotional and endocrine imbalance.
Lack of libido
This can have an emotional cause. Emotional conditions blocking sexual energy can be gently released by fluorite and red garnet thus stimulating passion once again.
Disclaimer: Crystal meanings, metaphysical and healing lore is for inspiration, folklore, reference, and entertainment only. By using this site and associated materials, and accessing this metaphysical and healing lore crystal meanings information, you acknowledge and agree that you personally assume responsibility for your use of this lore. No medical claims are made and all health issues should be referred to your GP.